Group Land BuysThis page last updated: 28 August 2019
At Fruit Haven, we encourage people to become a part of the change and buy their own land.
This results in more raw vegan-owned permaculture land for growing fruit forests and living sustainably. A great way to advance our mission, and to help you own your own land. Food-producing tropical land is a great investment that holds its value better than almost anything else. Plus, it gives the ultimate economic and survival security to you and your family - if it ever became necessary, you always have the option to "live off the land."
Participating in a group buy provides these benefits:
- Your name on the land title as a co-owner. Ecuador has a secure title system and as a foreigner, you only need a valid passport to buy land. You do not have to be present here, you can purchase remotely if you wish. We do a thorough map and title study on each land to prevent future boundary or ownership disputes.
- A personal homestead lot. Depending on the size of your share, you will receive a mapped and marked portion of the land that is legally tied to your name. Here you can build your house, plant fruit trees, etc. We also offer remote management of planting and construction in case you'd like a cabin and fruit trees but aren't able to come here right away to have it done yourself. Click here to see a guide that helps Fruit Haven owners explore the options for developing their lots.
- A legal contract between you and the other owners, to prevent future problems. This includes land use, shared property expenses, dispute resolution, and other important clauses. See a sample.
- A percent ownership of the property. For example, if you buy a share in Fruit Haven 3, you have a 5% ownership of the property.
- A share in the property development fund. This is included in the share price. The property development fund includes shared property expenses like taxes, boundary marking, water system, and path and trail maintenance. It also includes maintenance of a "community area" with house, workshop, internet, etc, so that owners have a "home base" while they are working on developing their homestead lots, and so that guests and volunteers have a place to stay. The community area can also be used to host retreats and events.
- Questions? Read the FAQ.
Learn about why we chose Southeast Ecuador for Terra Frutis and Fruit Haven:
Learn about owning land in Ecuador:
Learn about the basic structure of Fruit Haven group land buys:
Fill out this questionnaire to be approved to participate in any Fruit Haven group land buy:
Read about "stages" to determine the current situation with each one of these available properties.
Stage 1: We have found the property, and may have information such as: Owner, price, size, map, pictures, and features. We are looking for 1-4 people to buy the land as seed investors, so that there is no risk of it being sold to someone else and in the meantime we can organize a group buy. Once the group buy is organized, the original buyers re-sell it to the group-buyers, keeping a share if they want. They will typically earn a 10% commission for the risk they took in making the investment. The principal payment for the land from the group buyers goes into their property development fund share, and once that is paid in full, any excess goes back to the original buyers.
Stage 2: We have found an investor who has purchased the property and we are now organizing the group buy. We are looking for people to buy shares. They will get their name on the title, a personal homestead lot, and a contract specifying land use and other details. (more info on this above.)
Stage 3: We have already organized and carried out a group buy. Now there are multiple owners, each with personal homestead lots, and the property development fund is mostly or fully funded. There may or may not be shares of this property available for sale.
Fruit Haven 1
Stage 3. There are currently no shares of FH1 for sale.
Fruit Haven 2
Stage 3. There are currently no shares of FH2 for sale.
Fruit Haven 3
Stage 3. There will soon be 2 5% shares of FH3 for sale, as one of the seed investors has decided to sell off additional shares. Check out this page for more info.
Fruit Haven 4
Stage 1. This is a group buy opportunity of a 23.5-hectare lot, also next to Fruit Haven. This lot is riverfront, closer to the road and civilization, and more ideal for people who are older, have children, or have other accessibility issues. Or simply for those who don't want to be out in the boonies. Send an email to the address above with more info. Click here to see some pictures of the FH4 property.
See the FH4 proposed budget and share prices: Budget spreadsheet
FH4 proposed group buy will have 2.5% shares for $5k each, 0.4 hectares of land per share. Share includes land purchase and 5-year property development budget. After the 5 years, owners should expect to pay $100 per share per year to cover basic property maintenance.
We currently have $55k of confirmed interested in FH4, and we need $110k total to buy the property and take care of initial expenses (surveying and lot marking.)
Land in Nearby Areas
These lands are not directly adjacent to Fruit Haven 1-4, but they are close by in the same region. The numbering starts at 10, in case we buy more properties nearby to FH 1-4 and wish to keep the consecutive numbering.
See: Area Map
Fruit Haven 10
Stage 1. This 14 hectare property is down the river, in between Fruit Haven and Terra Frutis. Terra Frutis and FH10 are on the west side of the Rio Zamora, and Fruit Haven 1-4 are on the east side. The property is mostly flat and gentle slope. Click here for more info!
Note: We are currently going through the closing process to purchase this property, with 3 seed investors. We expect to begin selling lots in December 2019.
Fruit Haven 11
Stage 1. This 9 hectare property, selling for $20k USD, is located in Sector Portón, about a 20 minute drive from Gualaquiza on the old route to Cuenca. Click here for more information, photos, and budget proposal.
Terra Frutis 2
Stage 1. (1 seed investor confirmed, waiting for 1-2 others) This is a lot adjacent to the Terra Frutis community. 45 hectare lot, asking $115k though we will probably make an offer of $80k and get it for $90k. Has 4-5 hectares flat and gentle slope by river, planted with fruit trees and a big house. Comes with sugar cane juice press. Multiple out-buildings including wood shed. Has marang, papaya, cacao, rollinia, almirajo, other fruit trees planted. Behind the house there is a hill. This property will be limited to 2-3 owners max. This is a beautiful riverfront property, the owner has worked the farm for many years and is now selling it so he can retire and move to Spain. Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1teo_Oinyl7FKAdFzOVpCm3KpnFBykSTu
- See the current Community Sovereignty Doctrine, that lays out the general organization and interaction between the community areas of different Fruit Haven Properties. Note that this document does not apply to your personal homestead lot.
- Check out the by-laws that govern each community area. This example is the current Fruit Haven 1 community area bylaws. Each community area can make its own bylaws but they have to be compatible with the sovereignty document and the trustee legal contract. Note that these by-laws do not apply to your personal homestead lot, only the trustee legal contract does.
Trustee Bylaws: Rules that concern trustees (owners) in a group buy. Document is titled as FH3, but the same basic template we are using for all Fruit Haven properties.
Community Bylaws: (Last revised May 17, 2019) Rules that concern the community area of the property. Separate from the trustee bylaws, these can change and be added onto by the community for smoother operation, but cannot contradict the trustee bylaws.
Legal Contract between Trustees: This is a sample template of the legal document that Fruit Haven owners sign (either in-person or via a power-of-attorney.) This document details land use, personal homestead lot, property management, and how to resolve various disputes between property owners. This is the current non-finalized version of the FH3 contract. All future FH properties will use variations of this contract template.
Other Investment Opportunities
Click here to view additional investment opportunities in Fruit Haven.
Existing Fruit Haven trustees: Check out the new Homesteaders' Hub page.
It is currently in development but will soon become a portal for managing and developing your homestead lot, as well as providing support services while you are living here, for example: Ordering materials to your lot, requesting work, and even ordering wholesale fruit.